Clear all

Incorrect CPU usage Windows 11

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@symalla)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Has anyone else noticed that in Windows 11 the Total CPU usage and the CPU usage of processes don't match what is listed in Task Manager.

After I noticed I ran Prime95 to Stress the CPU. Task Manager went to 100% but DesktopInfo went to about 70%.

I think my CPU line is pretty standard

CPU=interval:1,background-interval:10,chart:line2 scale:linear max:100 series1:1 color1:00ff00 series2:2 color2:0000bb,threshold1:1 80 0000ff,threshold2:2 40 0000ff,display:Total: %1[2.0f]%, Krnl: %2[2.0f]%, Queue: %3

Online the closest I could find to this issue was on rain meter (seems like a similar monitoring software) https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=41353

Glenn
(@glenn)
Member Admin

I have noticed it and I would say the Rainmeter link you give has a reasonable explanation. The code DTI uses to get cpu info is, let's say, somewhat "legacy" and is capped to a certain number of cores.

You could add your own cpu counter using the WMI performance counter mentioned in that link, there's a full description at https://wutils.com/wmi/root/cimv2/win32_perfformatteddata_counters_processorinformation/

I will add that to my to-do list as an alternative to the CPU item in DTI.

ReplyQuote
(@symalla)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to get it to show what I needed using the performance counters you suggested.

WMI=interval:1,id:cputotal,text:Cpu,chart:line2 scale:linear max:100 series1:%PercentProcessorUtility% color1:00ff00,threshold:80 0000ff, namespace:rootcimv2,query:Win32_PerfFormattedData_Counters_ProcessorInformation where Name like "_Total",display:Total: %PercentProcessorUtility%%

This seems to match Task Manager all they way up to 99%. Once task manager gets to 100% then DTI will say 150%. I assume that must be some processor specific hyper threading or something. Since I don't normally run at 100% unless I am testing this stuff it won't be an issue for me.

ReplyQuote
Glenn
(@glenn)
Member Admin

nice, i might steal that code πŸ™‚

i think they mention in that thread things like cpu turbo boost etc that this wmi counter doesn't necessarily account for so seeing 150% is not surprising....

ReplyQuote
Glenn's Page