Clear all

Last Intune Checkin

15 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@frankybabe)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi - I like DesktopInfo very much. It makes supporting school-computer much easier! Does anybody have an idea how to make the last Intune-Checkin from Entra-joined Computer making visible by DesktopInfo? Thanks at all .... Frank

Topic Tags
Glenn
(@glenn)
Member Admin

On Frank Rueppel said

Hi – I like DesktopInfo very much. It makes supporting school-computer much easier!
Does anybody have an idea how to make the last Intune-Checkin from Entra-joined Computer making visible by DesktopInfo?

Thanks at all …. Frank

we're gonna need some more information, like what is Intune-Checkin from Entra-joined Computer making ??

ReplyQuote
(@frankybabe)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Microsoft Intune is a cloud-based endpoint management solution, based on Entra ID aka Azure AD.
All of our training computers are Entra-joined (formerly Azure AD joined), which allows us to distribute policy settings, updates, applications, and more to these devices. Normally, the computer performs a check-in with Intune after a restart. However, if there are problems, this may not work sometimes and can lead to more and more problems. For student support, it would therefore be very helpful to know when the computer last checked in to receive policies and updates. In the Intune Admin Center (intune.microsoft.com), I can retrieve this timestamp for the device. However, this timestamp should also be stored locally on the computer so that I can pass this information to the student in front of the computer via DesktopInfo. Because the information about this last check-in would be very, very helpful.

ReplyQuote
Glenn
(@glenn)
Member Admin

ok, so where on the computer is the last checkin information stored?

ReplyQuote
(@frankybabe)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

This is the real question for this thread: I don't know and hoped that other users of DesktopInfo have tried and possibly implemented this.

ReplyQuote
(@frankybabe)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I found a registry entry. Now I just have to take the value contained in DesktopInfo and put it into shape. The value of the registry entry is: "20240213T092724Z"  how do I format it for german users: "Last Checkin: 13.02.2024, 09:27:42 Uhr"

ReplyQuote
Glenn
(@glenn)
Member Admin

well done.

I don't think DTI can manipulate the string the way you need. I can imagine a SUBSTR function would be useful.

ReplyQuote
(@frankybabe)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I will try and let you know !!

ReplyQuote
Glenn
(@glenn)
Member Admin

I've just added the sub string function to the next release. it goes like this:

set test=20240213T092724Z
text=text:Last Checkin:,display:%test%[sub:7:2].%test%[sub:5:2].%test%[sub:1:4], %test%[sub:10:2]:%test%[sub:12:2]:%test%[sub:14:2] Uhr

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

@frankybabe Hi, i'm using Intune as well. I was wondering did you encounter any issues deploying and running desktopinfo to the standard domain users (those without admin privileges)? I'm in the midst of deploying it as a Win32 App

ReplyQuote
(@frankybabe)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@lute248 no problem ! I did it as a win32-App, too. Triggered a powershell script that copied all files to a predefined path and registered a scheduled task which starts DesktopInfo on logon !
Choose "system" as installation behavior !

The idea came from the wonderful blog of Florian Salzmann: https://scloud.work/hostname-auf-desktop/

Glenn reacted
ReplyQuote
(@frankybabe)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@webmaster great !! Thank you very much !!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

@frankybabe i see. Thanks for the quick response and confirmation....looks like i'm all set then

I've already written a powershell script with everything you mentioned such as registering the scheduled task to open DI upon user signing, copying all the required files to the predefined path (program files folder)

for the scheduled task, the security option has to be set as "Users" for it to work and also to run with the highest privileges

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Anonymous

ReplyQuote
(@frankybabe)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@lute248 have a look at Florians blog! He explains it perfect. Take advantage of this and make better use of the time you save to make the most of DesktopInfo. It works really fine and DesktopInfo is soooooo flexible. 

Glenn reacted
ReplyQuote
Glenn
(@glenn)
Member Admin

@frankybabe Just read the blog, nice!

ReplyQuote
Glenn's Page