Wallpaper

Forums Desktop Info Wallpaper

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jason 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Jason

Can I just say Wow! I love it!

Now, if you can find a way to remove the desktop wallpaper and set the desktop color to any rgb value we choose, that would be cool.

The issue is that if you want to show information in different colors, you quickly run out of nice colors that are in contrast to the background, and unless you set transparency to about 60, most wallpapers make it hard to see the information also.

• #599 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

Well you can set your own wallpaper any way you like, of course. If you’re referring to the background color of DesktopInfo, have you tried setting a combination of transparency and formcolor?

• #600 Reply

Jason

Jason
      20 September, 2018 at 5:06 am Edit
      I should have explained further….. The issue is scripting the setup of DesktopInfo.

In order to set the desktop background, you have to turn off the wallpaper in the registry and also set the background color in the registry. But this alone requires a logoff/logon or reboot to take affect.

There is an undocumented command by MS that forces a userprofile refresh from the command line, but it is not supported and does not always work. (No rhyme or reason.)

Many people also find it works the first time and then may or may not work subsequent times before you reboot. So if you are debugging and trying to find that perfect color, it can take forever with all the logoffs/logons.

However, every programming language has a way to send a userprofile refresh notification system wide that accomplishes this goal perfectly. That’s where you come in! 🙂

While playing with this a few minutes ago, I think I may have found a work-around in my script, but it requires to have already done the hard work of determining the color you want for the background.

Here’s my setup.cmd that lives in the same directory as the DesktopInfo files for anyone who wants to explore some more.

It copies a shortcut to the common startup folder, removes the desktop bmp, sets the background color to black (RGB Values, space delimited), runs the undocumented userprofile refresh, launches DesktopInfo, and runs the userprofile refresh again.

echo off
      cls
      copy desktopinfo.lnk “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\”

reg add “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop” /v WallPaper /t REG_SZ /d ” ” /f

reg add “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors” /v Background /t REG_SZ /d “0 0 0” /f

RUNDLL32.EXE USER32.DLL,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters 1, True
      start desktopinfo.exe
      RUNDLL32.EXE USER32.DLL,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters 1, True

So far, I am getting good results, with only occasionally having to intervene.

If you have older (widows 2003, XP) machines, throw this line in the setup,cmd file to get it in the startup folder, as the common startup folder on those OSes is different:

copy desktopinfo.lnk “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup”

Of course, if you don’t like the errors that zip by for the opposing OS, just throw a “> nul 2> nul” (without the quotes) at the end of the line. This will suppress the failed copy error for the line that is meant for the other OS.

Jason
      “Never type twice, what you can script once!”

• #601 Reply

Jason

Jason
        20 September, 2018 at 7:09 am Edit
        I might add that this script only handles the wallpaper and bg color for the current user, not all users. Since the DesktopInfo shortcut is placed in the common startup folder, it will run for all users, but only the users who ran startup.cmd will get no wallpaper and a colored bg.

This is another reason it would help if DesktopInfo.exe took care of this.

• #602 Reply
        Glenn
        Glenn
        Keymaster

I see you’re trying to script your way around user wallpapers. I take it you are a domain admin or at least responsible for a bunch of work computers? That seems like overkill to me. If the issue is readability of Desktop Info, why not just set the background of Desktop Info to black or whatever color you want and let the users keep their wallpaper, albeit with a chunk missing?

• #603 Reply

Jason

It’s just a few hundred servers, and I’m lazy.

I’ve worked on my script a bit more, and now, I can push a single batch file through a remote monitoring app and the batch file restarts itself with admin privileges, and sets it all up the way I want it. It’s three clicks from my console and it’s done. I added the admin restart for fun, I am always logged in as admin. But if someone here has a need to place the shortcut into the common startup folder while logged in as a domain user, this will do it.

I am now converting my 1.7 ini file to 1.8

I like it.

Reply To: Wallpaper
Your information:

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!