Vulnerability

Forums Desktop Info Vulnerability

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      sdcampbell
      Participant

Hi, I want to report a vulnerability RELATED to DesktopInfo, not in it. I’m a professional penetration tester. Due to the lack of an installer, I’ve seen my customers unzip the program to the root of the C drive. Any new directories created on the root of the C drive have weak permissions which gives “authenticated users” read/write permissions, unlike those placed under “Program Files”. This allowed me to escalate privileges from a Domain User to Domain Administrator as well as local system privilege escalation.

Since there was no installer, the program was unzipped to C:\DesktopInfo and a shortcut placed in the Windows startup folder. I simply added CMD’s to the DesktopInfo ini file. When a user with admin privileges logs in, they unknowingly run my commands. The impact of this is that if a user of DesktopInfo gets “phished” by a black hat hacker, they can backdoor DesktopInfo’s ini file to run commands, such as install malware or ransomware.

I suggest adding something to the documentation stating that the program should be placed in a secure location, such as “C:\Program Files” or “C:\Program Files (x86)”. Best case would be for you to create an installer that places the program in “Program Files” by default.

Glenn
      Keymaster

Interesting. I’ll add your comments to the documentation and the FAQ on the web site. Thanks.

Glenn
      Keymaster

I have to say I’ve been a little lax in this respect. I know from experience that putting it in Program Files is a pain because Windows stops me from tinkering, which is exactly your point I suppose.

I think it also prevents the log file being written by the program. For the log file, I’ll add the option to put %appdata% in the log file path.

What else is required for it to run in Program Files?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Glenn's Page