using CMD with powershell exits with 259 powershell pipe error

Forums Desktop Info using CMD with powershell exits with 259 powershell pipe error

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there,

I’m trying to set up DesktopInfo on my PC. I gather system information mostly with powershell scripts. Here is an example:

[SCRIPT BEGIN]
      CMD=active:1,interval:10,file:powershell.exe,parameters:-File .\get_wibukey_detected_status.ps1,text:WibuKey license detected status:,display:(%1 %2 %3) %3[b:OK – detected.:not detected!]
      [SCRIPT END]

The powershell script looks like this:
      [SCRIPT BEGIN]
      $result = 0
      $status = & ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\WIBUKEY\Bin\wku32.exe’
      if ($status -like ‘*1 WibuBox at 1 port found*’)
      {
      $result = 1
      }
      exit $result
      [SCRIPT END]

What I am confused about is that I often get return code 259 (which is a powershell pipe error) for %3. Am I doing something wrong with how I use Desktop info or is this a bug?

Kind regards

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

I’m not a Powershell guru but the only possible pipe operation I can see is the line that executes wku32.exe and pipes the output to the $status variable. Why that would generate an error is a mystery. Is it possible the command output might return an array instead of a single string?

How does DesktopInfo get %3 for CMD? Maybe I’m exiting the powershell script in the wrong way.

I also see that while executing this powershell script returns 0, desktop info still shows 1 as %3, and I am not sure where things go wrong. Do you have any ideas?

Do you have a working example of desktopinfo.ini file and a powershell script run by CMD command that would display the return code as parameter %3?

I’m posting here my desktopinfo.ini file and a simple powershell script which always return 1 for %1, 0 for %2 and 1 for %3. So I am looking for a working example to display the correct value for %3, either for .bat or .ps1 script.

———————————desktopinfo.ini———————————
        [options]
        # size and position
        top=0
        right=0
        width=360

# font
        font-face=Arial
        font-size=10

# logging
        log=desktopinfo.log
        log-level=error

desktopinfo64=1

[screen-saver]
        font-face=Comic Sans MS
        font-size=16
        centerv=1
        centerh=1

[items]
        CMD=active:1,interval:2,file:powershell.exe,directory:”C:\Program Files\DesktopInfo201″,parameters: -File test.ps1,text:test:,display: %1 %2 %3

———————————test.ps1———————————
        function ExitWithCode($exitcode) {
        $host.SetShouldExit($exitcode)
        exit $exitcode
        }

ExitWithCode 4

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

The exit code is retrieved using GetExitCodeProcess.

I don’t understand your next statement. Have you tried debugging this script in Powershell ISE?

Hi Glenn. I have tried debugging with powershell ISE. The following screenshot explains the situation:

You can see the powershell script that is called by desktop info and continuously returns 1 for the %3 parameter. Then you see its exit code when called by powershell ISE. It returns 4. So what I expect should be the right behavior (according to the documentation – I hope I didnt overlook any detail) is that desktop info should return 4 as parameter %3.

Do you know why desktop info shows 1 instead of 4 for the parameter %3?

screenshot
      Untitled

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

Powershell is a thing.

I found it impossible to get it to reliably return an exit code in the expected way. I found a discussion on stackoverflow that suggests using a function which seemed to work for me:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50200325/returning-an-exit-code-from-a-powershell-script

exit $exitcode
      }

try
      {
      	$status = & 'dir'
      	write-host $status
      	if ($status -like '*text.ps1*')
      	{
      		write-host "detected"
      		ExitWithCode 3
      	}
      	write-host "not detected"
      	ExitWithCode 4
      }
      catch
      {
      	write-host "error"
      	ExitWithCode 5
      }
      • This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by GlennGlenn.
      • This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by GlennGlenn.

Do you have a working example of desktopinfo.ini file and a powershell script run by CMD command that would display the return code as parameter %3?

I’m posting here my desktopinfo.ini file and a simple powershell script which always return 1 for %1, 0 for %2 and 1 for %3. So I am looking for a working example to display the correct value for %3, either for .bat or .ps1 script.

———————————desktopinfo.ini———————————
        [options]
        # size and position
        top=0
        right=0
        width=360

# font
        font-face=Arial
        font-size=10

# logging
        log=desktopinfo.log
        log-level=error

desktopinfo64=1

[screen-saver]
        font-face=Comic Sans MS
        font-size=16
        centerv=1
        centerh=1

[items]
        CMD=active:1,interval:2,file:powershell.exe,directory:”C:\Program Files\DesktopInfo201″,parameters: -File test.ps1,text:test:,display: %1 %2 %3

———————————test.ps1———————————
        exit $exitcode
        }

ExitWithCode 4

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

I copied your CMD and test.ps1 code and it worked for me. I tried a batch file and that also worked as expected. As best I can tell DesktopInfo is functioning correctly. Why powershell is returning exit code 1 is a mystery.

(check the encoding of the ps1 file?)

try this:

CMD=active:1,interval:3,file:powershell.exe,parameters:-command exit 4

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘using CMD with powershell exits with 259 powershell pipe error’ is closed to new replies.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!