User Password Expiration Date

Forums Desktop Info User Password Expiration Date

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      zeljko
      Participant

I need to show the password expiration date. Can this be achieved with Desktopinfo?

Glenn
      Keymaster

something like this:

zeljko
      Participant

Your solution works fantastic. Great piece of software, by the way. One problem with your solution is with users who have the expiration date set to “Never”, desktopinfo displays <NULL>. Also, it would be nice if i could display the number of days left till expiration.

Glenn
        Keymaster

This will return a result only if there is a password expiry date. If the date is null, ie password does not expire, then the “hide-no-result” option will cause the item to not display.

zeljko
      Participant

Another problem has arisen. On my comp all works fine, but on the terminal I’m running as a server, no WMI query gets executed. Do I have to configure something to have WMI queries run?

Glenn
        Keymaster

probably a permission issue. try running DTI as admin.

rtruss
      Participant

I like that as well. Getting consensus now on whether to add it or not.

Attachments:
      zeljko
      Participant

It works when switching to version 3. But what is strange, on my comp it lists only my expiry date but on the server, it lists the expiration dates for all users. the same query in powershell:
      Get-WmiObject -query "SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkLoginProfile where UserType='Normal Account' and Privileges>0'
      returns 1 result on my comp and all user expiration dates on the server.

Glenn
        Keymaster
      zeljko
      Participant

Thanks for the quick response. The filtering works fine. But unfortunately the date is not correct (or I am misinterpreting the result – I expect to get the expiration date for AD). For the expiration date, I get 22.02.2022 but the correct expiration date is 11.04.2022. The server is part of a domain. Also the query is pretty slow (1 minute – approximately 3500 users).
      I get the correct date when running in the commandline:

net user <USERNAME> / DOMAIN

The result gives me multiple lines for output. One is “Password expires” with the correct date and the query is instantenous. Could it somehow be possible to use this command prompt query to get the result?

Glenn
      Keymaster

I can’t account for the date, possibly different between the local machine and the domain server. You can use the CMD item but it returns a big chunk of unfilterable text. You can also research that query using powershell but that’s above my pay grade.

rtruss
      Participant

I found that you can run this net user ‘username’ /domain | find “Password expires” It IS case sensitive sadly but I was able to get the expiration date that way. Now if only I could figure out how to do this with my Azure AD users using modern workplace Azure ad joined devices.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by rtruss.
      Attachments:
      rtruss
      Participant

So I have a mixed environment and only want to show password expiry to my hybrid computers as the azure only units simply will not work.
      Here is what I have tried thus far to no avail 🙁

DOMAIN=hide-no-result:1
      If=value1:%DOMAIN%, value2:domain.name comp:eq
      WMI=namespace:root\cimv2,query:Win32_NetworkLoginProfile where UserType=”Normal Account” and Privileges>0,color:%Green%,text:Password Expires on:,display:%PasswordExpires_month%[2.0d]/%PasswordExpires_day%[2.0d]/%PasswordExpires_year%

Am I missing something as the above code will not allow the expire date to display.

Thanks in advance all.

Glenn
      Keymaster

what does it display?

zeljko
      Participant

Solved it eventually like this:

CMD=file:cmd.exe,parameters:/c net USER %username% /DOMAIN | find "Password expires" ,text:,wide:1,color:#FF6347

The only pitfall is that I don’t know how to replace the “Password expires” text in the resulting output.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Glenn's Page