Terminalserver Freeze

Forums Desktop Info Terminalserver Freeze

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar PP 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author
    PP

Hello Glenn, as I wrote a month ago, the WMI queries on a terminal server cause it to freeze after a few hours. (WMI overflow) – Do you have an idea to fix the problem. Please do not ignore this message again. THANK YOU

• #1575 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

If you’re reporting a bug or asking for help, I need as much information as you can give me. Simply stating a thing doesn’t work is no help to me. Please include the following information:

Windows version
    Product version
    A full and accurate description of the problem or error
    The expected output
    The actual output
    For Desktop Info, a code snippet from the ini file of the items in question or just the whole ini file
    The log file containing the errors

• #1582 Reply
    PP

Server 2012R2 Terminalserver
    DesktopInfo 1140

There are about 40 users logged in to a term server.
    The default printer and the number of printers are displayed on the desktop.

Due to the persistent WMI queries, the terminal server freezes.
    After a few hours, the terminal server freezes because the WMI service crashes.
    The triggers are the permanent WMI queries.

WMI=active:1,interval:0,text:Printer,namespace:root\cimv2,query:Win32_Printer,maxrows:1,display:%rowcount%
    WMI=active:1,interval:0,text:Default-Printer, namespace:root\cimv2,query:Win32_Printer where default = “True”,display:%Name%

Thank You very much

• #1586 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

You’re suggesting there may be a wmi error being generated by the win32_printer queries which may be causing the wmi service to crash.

You should enable logging to try and catch the wmi errors. Add the following to the [options] section of your ini file:

log=debug.log
    log-level=debugonerror

If this doesn’t show up anything then try log-level=debug.

A quick google would suggest that Server 2012R2 has a number of known issues with WMI.

Check out these Microsoft articles:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/3146604/wmi-service-crashes-randomly-in-windows-server-2012-r2-or-windows-serv
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/3103616/wmi-query-doesn-t-work-in-windows-server-2012-r2-or-windows-server-201

or just google

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&ei=4mLDXMGeA9Te9QODi4TACw&q=server+2012r2+wmi+service+issues&oq=server+2012r2+wmi+service+issues&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30.5740349.5756466..5756817…0.0..0.667.11254.2-5j21j1j4……0….1..gws-wiz…….0i71j0i131j0j0i10j0i22i30j0i13i30.tPgLxhTbQV8

If all else fails I recommend you remove those queries from the Desktop Info.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Glenn Glenn.
  • #1593 Reply
    PP

Hello Glenn, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I can not activate logging on the productive system. I have already removed the mentioned WMI entries.

• #1594 Reply
    PP

Hello Glenn the Updates KB3103616 , KB3146604
    are installed on our servers Thanks

Reply To: Terminalserver Freeze
Your information:

Cancel
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!