Terminalserver Freeze

Forums Desktop Info Terminalserver Freeze

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hello Glenn, as I wrote a month ago, the WMI queries on a terminal server cause it to freeze after a few hours. (WMI overflow) – Do you have an idea to fix the problem. Please do not ignore this message again. THANK YOU

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

If you’re reporting a bug or asking for help, I need as much information as you can give me. Simply stating a thing doesn’t work is no help to me. Please include the following information:

Windows version
      Product version
      A full and accurate description of the problem or error
      The expected output
      The actual output
      For Desktop Info, a code snippet from the ini file of the items in question or just the whole ini file
      The log file containing the errors

Server 2012R2 Terminalserver
      DesktopInfo 1140

There are about 40 users logged in to a term server.
      The default printer and the number of printers are displayed on the desktop.

Due to the persistent WMI queries, the terminal server freezes.
      After a few hours, the terminal server freezes because the WMI service crashes.
      The triggers are the permanent WMI queries.

WMI=active:1,interval:0,text:Printer,namespace:root\cimv2,query:Win32_Printer,maxrows:1,display:%rowcount%
      WMI=active:1,interval:0,text:Default-Printer, namespace:root\cimv2,query:Win32_Printer where default = “True”,display:%Name%

Thank You very much

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

You’re suggesting there may be a wmi error being generated by the win32_printer queries which may be causing the wmi service to crash.

You should enable logging to try and catch the wmi errors. Add the following to the [options] section of your ini file:

log=debug.log
      log-level=debugonerror

If this doesn’t show up anything then try log-level=debug.

A quick google would suggest that Server 2012R2 has a number of known issues with WMI.

Check out these Microsoft articles:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/3146604/wmi-service-crashes-randomly-in-windows-server-2012-r2-or-windows-serv
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/3103616/wmi-query-doesn-t-work-in-windows-server-2012-r2-or-windows-server-201

or just google

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&ei=4mLDXMGeA9Te9QODi4TACw&q=server+2012r2+wmi+service+issues&oq=server+2012r2+wmi+service+issues&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30.5740349.5756466..5756817…0.0..0.667.11254.2-5j21j1j4……0….1..gws-wiz…….0i71j0i131j0j0i10j0i22i30j0i13i30.tPgLxhTbQV8

If all else fails I recommend you remove those queries from the Desktop Info.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by GlennGlenn.

Hello Glenn, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I can not activate logging on the productive system. I have already removed the mentioned WMI entries.

Hello Glenn the Updates KB3103616 , KB3146604
      are installed on our servers Thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Terminalserver Freeze’ is closed to new replies.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!