Source for uptime value

Forums Desktop Info Source for uptime value

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

your tool Desktop Info seems to do a very good job determining the uptime.

I have questions regarding the source for the uptime value of desktop info.

I know it is not Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem | Select-Object LastBootUpTime for example.

Thanks in advance!

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

kernel32.dll GetTickCount64

Thanks for the information.

I have a few Windows Servers (2012 R2, 2016 and 2019) where the Desktop Info uptime differs from the uptime shown in the task manager.

For example: Desktop Info shows 4 days uptime and task manager shows 489 days uptime. There was definitely no reboot or shutdown in the last 4 days. The log goes back to July 2019 and and least since then there was no kernel power event.

Apart from the fact, that this long uptime is not good for security reasons, I´m wondering what could cause the difference of the uptime counters.

GlennGlenn
        Keymaster

That’s interesting. The algorithm looks to see if the 64 bit call is available, if not it uses the 32 bit call. The 32 bit call, being 32 bit, wraps after 49.7 days.

I wonder why it can’t find the GetTickCount64 in kernel32.dll. They are not 32 bit Windows?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Source for uptime value’ is closed to new replies.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!