msi

Forums Desktop Info msi

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ltguide 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author
    ltguide

Are you interested in the code for generating an msi using the wix toolset? I can zip the VS solution and send to wherever.

The msi will be automatically versioned from the .exe when rebuilt. I have it statically added to the project but you can reference it if you use VS. Code-signing is possible too.

It’ll install to the (32-bit) Program Files.

If the property COPYINI=true is passed to msiexec, it’ll also copy any desktopinfo*.ini files from the location of the .msi as well.

Another property AUTORUN takes either standard or administrator. It’ll drop the appropriate shortcut into the startup folder. “run as administrator” is enabled on the administrator shortcut automatically.

msiexec /i DesktopInfo.msi COPYINI=true AUTORUN=administrator

• #2055 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

I presume that’s some kind of installation builder? That sounds like way too much work when zip is all that’s needed.

• #2059 Reply
    ltguide

I’ve already prepared everything you’d need: the Setup.wxs file and the shortcuts (so “run as administrator” will work).

All you’d need to do is adjust the paths to match your actual environment.

Then when you build a new exe (or when you are ready to zip), also run:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.11\bin\candle.exe” -out “c:\devpath\DesktopInfo\build\\” -arch x86 “c:\devpath\DesktopInfo\Setup.wxs”

“C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.11\bin\light.exe” -out c:\devpath\DesktopInfo\release\DesktopInfo.msi -b c:\devpath\DesktopInfo c:\devpath\DesktopInfo\build\Setup.wixobj

<also your code-signing command on the .msi>

Reply To: msi
Your information:

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!