How to choose the monitor DesktopInfo displays on?

Forums Desktop Info How to choose the monitor DesktopInfo displays on?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Glenn Glenn 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

James Hozier

I have several different monitors on this PC, and I would like to move DesktopInfo to a different monitor. How can I do this?

• #1041 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

Greetings,

You will need to understand how the monitors are laid out relative to the primary monitor and adjust the top/left/bottom/right options to account for it, keeping in mind that top=0, left=0 represents the top left of the primary monitor, top=0, right=0 represents the top right of the primary monitor.

If your secondary monitor is laid out above the primary, the top value will be negative by some amount up to the vertical resolution of the secondary monitor, for example top=-900.

If it’s to the left of the primary monitor, the left value will be negative by some amount up to the horizontal resolution of the secondary monitor.

• #1047 Reply

James Hozier

Thanks Glenn, I set up my primary monitor and then set up only one other monitor to the right side of it for simplicity due to testing your software. As expected, in the config when I put a positive integer for right=, the program moves towards the left on the primary monitor by the adjusted amount. However, when I put in a negative integer, the program skips to the far left of the primary monitor, as if it’s left=0. I can never get it to move to the other monitor on the right side no matter what type of number I put into the config.

• #1051 Reply
      Glenn
      Glenn
      Keymaster

There’s something odd going on there. I’ll look into it. Can you confirm the windows monitor layout has the secondary monitor to the right?

I’ve been pondering a rethink of this stuff or at least adding the idea of selecting a monitor and a position on that monitor. That leaves the problem of what to do when the selected monitor is not there. Maybe just resort to the primary monitor.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Glenn Glenn.
      • #1057 Reply

James Hozier

Yes, the primary monitor is in front of me, and the secondary monitor is to my right of the primary monitor while I am facing them. The default settings of DesktopInfo shows on the upper right corner of my primary monitor (using top=0 and right=0). The secondary monitor is set as an extended display in my Windows 10 Display Settings. Maybe DesktopInfo is not detecting a second monitor, so when I put in a negative number for right=, it moves to the right but since it’s already all the way to the right and it doesn’t detect any screen real estate further to the right, it cycles back around the primary monitor and moves back to the left side of the primary screen?

• #1089 Reply
          Glenn
          Glenn
          Keymaster

Well I studied that code for a while and it turns out it wasn’t doing what I thought it was doing. It was very much geared to the primary monitor. I’ve updated it to be more aware of the virtual screen that encompasses all monitors. This should solve your immediate problem.

I’m still looking in to the best approach for deliberately changing the focus to secondary monitors when available. In other words, I want DTI to shift to a different monitor when/if that monitor is connected but not just blindly reposition itself when something changes.

• #1091 Reply

James Hozier

Hm, for me it still exhibits the same behavior (I’m using what’s labeled as version 1.10.2, I can’t remember what your previous version was). No matter how large of a negative integer I put in, it’s still in the upper left corner of my primary monitor. But if I input a very large positive integer, it just goes off the screen and doesn’t show up anywhere.

• #1093 Reply
            Glenn
            Glenn
            Keymaster

next release

• #1115 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

FYI: in version 1.11 I’ve added an option called “monitor-mode”. This lets you switch between “Primary Monitor Mode” (which is the way it’s always worked) and “Virtual Screen Mode” which allows DTI to be positioned anywhere in the virtual screen world.

By default, it will continue to work as it always has, in primary monitor mode. To enable the big bad virtual screen, add “monitor-mode=1” to the [options] in desktopinfo.ini.

Reply To: How to choose the monitor DesktopInfo displays on?
Your information:

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!