Feature request: font outline

Forums Desktop Info Feature request: font outline

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello!

First of all, thanks a lot for this product, it just works and does what it supposed to (in opposite to BGInfo, which still has its wallpaper issues etc).

I think i use just 5% of the program capabilities, since i only display username, hostname and ip adress on my machines here (about 100 PCs in AD Domain).

However, one thing i lack is to set font outline. There was another readability request earlier (acryllic background), and as said there, its hard to read just plain white text on any light wallpaper. Setting thin (or even px adjustable) black outline for the text would highly improve readability.

Glenn
      Keymaster

This is what the semi transparent background is for. Otherwise scout around for a font with outline built in. To my knowledge Windows doesn’t have a native way to outline TTF fonts.

Participant

That’s just unfortunate. I thought of some sort of css text-stroke or photoshop style outlining.

Ok, maybe setting text shadow is an option? I might be wrong but Windows XP (and may be even Windows 7 and later) had this setting in the window where you change system font, you could play with the color etc.

So setting this shadow to be 100% opaque might also help. Or even playing with the angle of the shadow, its offset and size could do some sort of outline.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by 430.
      Glenn
      Keymaster

I figured you must have been thinking of css. I’ll investigate some kind of shadow thing. It will be a simple duplicate the display, make it black and offset it 1 or 2 pixels.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Glenn's Page