Ethernet speed question

Forums Desktop Info Ethernet speed question

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Glenn Glenn 6 days, 11 hours ago.

• Author
    Brad Arnold
    Participant

I’m trying to figure out the difference between the NetPacketsRate monitor, and the WMI Ethernet Traffic monitor.
    I’m trying to decide which is best to use.
    On a server, I’ve got them both set for 1 sec Interval and KBytes.
    And if I copy something to the network, they have wildly differing displays.

• #2218 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

are you using the mtu option in NetPacketsRate ?

• #2219 Reply
    Brad Arnold
    Participant

>are you using the mtu option in NetPacketsRate ?

Yes. Standard mtu:1500

NETPACKETSRATE=active:1,interval:1,mtu:1500,color:55CC77,display:Rcv:%1[3.1k]K Snt:%2[3.1k]K,chart:2,threshold:500,tcolor:0000FF,chart:line log 22 1 00ff00 2 dd0000

WMI=active:1,interval:1,hide-no-result:1,color:%Orange%,font-size:80%,chart:line log 22 1 00ff00 2 bb00bb,threshold1:1 4000000 2222ee,threshold2:2 4000000 0000ff,text:Ethernet Traffic,namespace:root\cimv2,query:Win32_PerfFormattedData_Tcpip_NetworkInterface where Name like “%Ethernet%” and CurrentBandwidth>0,display:R: %BytesReceivedPersec%[3.1b]Bps\, S: %BytesSentPersec%[3.1b]Bps\, B: %CurrentBandwidth%[1.0B]B

• #2220 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

I notice a comment in the code noting that this is different to the wmi results but I was never able to dig up an adequate explanation.

For your reference NETPACKETSRATE calls the GetIpStatistics api function.

The only thing that comes to mind is NETPACKETSRATE will give combined stats for all interfaces while the wmi call will show stats for each individual interface.

• #2221 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

I wonder if it’s anything to do with this:

The GetIpStatistics function returns the statistics for IPv4 on the current computer. On Windows XP and later, the GetIpStatisticsEx can be used to obtain the IP statistics for either IPv4 or IPv6.

• #2223 Reply
    Brad Arnold
    Participant

Bit more info for future reference.
    W2k16 Std. Single VMware VMXNet3 NIC. IPConfig /all only shows the VMXNet3 and the normal Tunnel ISATAP, which as normal is disconnected.
    No IPv6 configured in Windows network config (unchecked).
    The box is idle so it wasn’t loading/contention issues.

I’ll shift over to using the WMI sensor for a while.

Thanks for your help!

Brad

• #2276 Reply
    Nathan K.

I’ve switched to using WMI as well, but I have a question. Is there a way to set the threshold based on a percentage of the CurrentBandwidth? Hard setting it to a number when the maximum connection speed can change isn’t ideal.

• #2279 Reply
      Glenn
      Glenn
      Keymaster

I’m with you there. I’ve been pondering adding expressions to the thresholds so we can do exactly that kind of thing. I’ll raise an issue and look into it.

Reply To: Ethernet speed question
Your information:

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!