DPi settings question

Forums Desktop Info DPi settings question

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      rtrussrtruss
      Participant

I think its been asked but I cannot find it so here it goes.

Is there a way to have DI reload and update itself based on screen scaling? Like if I hook my laptop up to a external monitor and the resolution changes from 3000×2000 with a dpi of 200% to say 1920×1080 with a DPI of 100% and still maintain the look of the original resolution? As of now when I do this the font drops down to super small and the width gets a bit funky.

I recalled someone talking about onload or a if statement that could handle this but I for the life of me cannot find it.

Thanks in advance all.

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

that’s the auto-scale option

rtrussrtruss
      Participant

I thought I had tried that and it did not scale well. I will try it again later this week. Thanks for the quick reply.

rtrussrtruss
      Participant

actuall i do have auto-scale enabled, will disable it and see how it goes.

rtrussrtruss
      Participant

Now its sstating to come back to me. NOT using auto-scale really messes up my control buttons. below is one of the items . The commented item is what i use with auo-scale on and then the uncommented is what is needed to adjust it so its legible.

#CONTROL=type:1,wide:1,control-style:,display:Help Desk URL:
      #CONTROL2=left:140,type:0,button-color:%blue%,display:Helpnow.brunswick.com,uri:https://helpnow.brunswick.com
      #COMMENT=text:,font-size:100%
      ONTROL=font-size:55%,type:1,wide:1,control-style:,display:Help Desk URL:
      CONTROL2=font-size:55%,left:260,type:0,button-color:%blue%,display:Helpnow.brunswick.com,uri:https://helpnow.brunswick.com
      COMMENT=text:,font-size:100%

here is how i have to change sizing with auto-scale off:

#font-size=6
      font-size=22
      font-quality=5
      auto-scale=0
      #width=440
      width=800

next i will havde to attach my external monitor once i get back to the office.

using the latest d.i 3.5 as well.

I also found someone indicated thisworked for them but i have not yet attempted it:
      #Setting following compatibility flag fixed our scaling issues:
      #[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
      #”C:\\Program Files\\DesktopInfo\\DesktopInfo64.exe”=”~ DPIUNAWARE”

rtrussrtruss
      Participant

So I have been playing around with this today and attached are the outcomes of various views with auto-scale on and off and between built-in and external disaplys. The only major differences in the ini files are:
      auto-scale=1
      font-size=6
      width=440

auto-scale=0
      font-size=20
      width=770

the biggest hurdle here is of course overall size but also the control settings get all whacky

# control settings for auto-scale=1
      CONTROL=type:1,wide:1,control-style:,display:Help Desk URL:
      CONTROL2=left:140,type:0,button-color:%blue%,display:Helpnow.com,uri:https://helpnow.com
      # control settings for auto-scale=0
      CONTROL=font-size:50%,type:1,wide:1,control-style:,display:Help Desk URL:
      CONTROL2=font-size:50%,left:245,type:0,button-color:%blue%,display:Helpnow.com,uri:https://helpnow.com

this is simply for 1 item i have a entire page using control and wow with auto scaling off its all over the place and with it enabled nothing is readable if its not running on the display it was initially configured for, but it will scale the control items correctly everything else gets messed up then.

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

ok, let me study this for a bit.

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

I can’t reproduce your actual setup because I don’t have a monitor with that kind of resolution. However I can sort of see what’s going on. If you up the font-size to give you what you want on the 3000px monitor, you’re expecting the auto-scale to give you the equivalent on the 1920px monitor.

However this is not the purpose of the auto-scale, it’s purpose is purely to account for the Windows magnification setting. In other words, not total pixels across the screen but pixels per inch. This needs to be better documented. Or maybe change the name to better describe what it does.

In another similar case, I recommended some code to set the font-size according to the monitor resolution. This might work for you. I’ll have to look to see how it effects the controls.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Glenn's Page