cpuusage, no multiple line charts for multiple cpus/cores

Forums Desktop Info cpuusage, no multiple line charts for multiple cpus/cores

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Glenn,
      I’m a bit astonished that the above doesn’t seem to bother anyone since this issue exists since version 2.1.
      If you configure a bar chart instead everything’s fine, maybe this is the reason why there are no complaints from others.

I’ve tested this issue with all the versions from 2.1 up to 2.6.1 against the older ones.
      The latter work well, the former not, no matter on which machine and OS.

Here’s my working simplified config line:
      CPUUSAGE=interval:3,row-text:Core %1 %2%,chart:bar linear 100 2 80
      Change chart:bar to chart:line and you’ll see what I mean.

I also tried this variation without success:
      CPUUSAGE=interval:3,row-text:Core %1 %2%,chart:line linear 100 2 80|%chart%

Everything else works like a charm to me 🙂

Cheers
      Holger

I too see some issues. i just upgraded from 1140 to 2.6.1 and it totally messed up my ini file.
      Truncated info, lost second page etc.
      Can’t use latest version

Well, to be honest, Joe, there have been so many changes between 1.x and 2.x versions that using a unaltered 1.x config file won’t make too much sense, really.
      You’ll have to read the excellent new documentation for outdated config keys and changed value place holders as well as new config keys and change a lot accordingly.

I had to do this too.

But this is not the topic here, sorry.
      My writing is just a specific bug report for 2.x version only.

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

I’ll raise an issue to look into it. I don’t think I’ve ever tested line charts on cpuusage.

I see that it should follow the %chart% thing and otherwise behave the same as a bar chart.

At the moment the line chart is a fixed size, two rows, takes the whole column width and starts on the line following the data so you’re looking at a minimum 3 rows per result. If you have a four core cpu that’s 12 rows. It also occurs once per item, and should show the first row in the result set but I don’t think it does.

So I think the answer it should behave the same as bar charts so, for example, we can squeeze a line chart on to a data row in the same way as the bar chart.

1+

Just as an addition, line charts for multi core CPUs work up to version 2.01 incl. with this non simplified config line:

CPUUSAGE=active:1,interval:3,count:8,display:%1%,chart:line linear 100 1 00ff00 2 0000bb,threshold1:1 80 0000ff,threshold2:2 40 0000ff

GlennGlenn
        Keymaster

yes the next version converted that item to bring it into line with the new architecture.

1+

Hi Glenn,
      any progress on this issue?

I saw that you are on the way to refactorate the chart-code already.
      Does this imply fixing the above in the more or less near future, too?

Thx!
      Holger

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

That’s still the plan. There’s a lot of work to be done. Lots of legacy code around the charts that needs to be sorted out. Just getting the two charts on the display involves two different methods that somehow needs to be united into a single method.

The bar chart and the line chart are fundamentally different beasts. For example, the bar chart shows a single data point, the line chart shows many data points. The bar chart can be constructed on the fly during the display update because it’s just one datum and that can easily be done on a per-result-row basis.

The line chart needs to persist over time because it contains a history of data but there needs to be at least the potential for a line chart to persist for every row in the result set. Right now there is just one line chart per ini item and it shows the first result row.

This was written back in the dark ages when DTI could only show one row.

The further complication is the line chart needs to somehow be associated with a specific result row and persist with that row over time. Take drive usage as an example. The LOGICAL_DRIVES item returns many rows, each row represents a logical drive. Drives come and go as they are plugged and unplugged. Say Drive C:, Drive D: and Drive E: are the three rows returned, each has a line chart showing throughput. Drive D: is unplugged and now there are two drives and three line charts. DTI has to “know” that, what used to be the third line chart, is now the second line chart. The second line chart needs to go away and the third line chart becomes the second. So i guess it needs to find a unique id within a result row that will positively identify it so it knows which line chart to associate with that row. And we need to be able to identify that unique id in a generic way that can be used for all DTI items.

So the moral of that story is that it’s going to be hard but I’ll keep working on it.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by GlennGlenn.
      1+

Hi Glenn,

Right now there is just one line chart per ini item and it shows the first result row.

that actually exactly describes what is to be seen right now with multiple cores.

So I understand now it’s not just a quirk to be fixed but basic changes to the underlying code.
      I can wait! No need to hurry anything.

Thx for caring!

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

Making progress…

Attachments:
      1+
      GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

another sample

Attachments:
      1+

Great work, Glenn!
      It’s just what I used to have basically.

At the moment it looks like this using bars and version 2.8.0.

cpuusage

Another try as a link.

cpuusage image link

GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

if you create an account you can post images. here’s another…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by GlennGlenn.
      • This reply was modified 1 month ago by GlennGlenn.
      Attachments:
      1+
      Participant

Hi Glenn,
      thanks a lot for the latest version, line charts are working now as expected.
      Even better thanks to some additional parameters like height etc.

With the following entry it almost looks like before back in version 2.01 (I’m somewhat used to the former standard height of two rows… 😉 ).

CPUUSAGE=interval:3,background-interval:3,row-text:Core %1 %2%,chart:line2 height:2 scale:linear max:100 series1:2 color1:00ff00 row-id:1,threshold1:2 80,display: %chart%

I also like the new behaviour of the graph frame getting red if threshold is reached.

Thumbs up!

1+
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!