CPU Load

Forums Desktop Info CPU Load

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ReDeX 1 week, 3 days ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #1084 Reply

    ReDeX
    Participant

    Hi Glenn,
    I noticed that with the latest versions (1.10.0-1.10.2) the cpu occupation is constant as if DesktopInfo were constantly
    to query data regardless of the intervals set in the ini file, while this does not happen with version 1.9.2 and earlier. Moreover,
    and I do not know if the two problems are connected, sometimes it hangs as if it did not respond (the background turns black)
    and then start again after a few seconds. The problem occurs with both Windows 7 Home / Pro and Windows 10 Pro.
    This is my ini file:
    [options]
    # see the readme.txt file for detailed information

    # position on the screen
    top=1
    #left=5
    #bottom=0
    right=0
    centerv=0
    centerh=0
    # total width
    width=580
    # width of the left column, -1 = auto
    column1width=-1
    # font
    font-face=Arial
    font-charset=1
    font-size=12
    cleartype=1
    ssfontsize=10
    # background color
    formcolor=000000
    # background transparency, 100 = totally transparent
    transparency=100
    # right click context menu, 1 = allow, 0 = disallow
    contextmenu=1
    # allow user to drag with the mouse, 1 = allow, 0 = disallow
    allowdrag=0
    # language file
    language=language\english.ini
    #language=language\french.ini
    # strings
    noresults=—
    # how often, in seconds, to check ini file for changes
    inimonitortime=10
    # debug logging
    #log=\desktopinfo.log

    [pages]
    1=Main Page
    2=
    3=
    4=
    5=
    6=
    7=
    8=
    9=

    [items]
    HOST=active:1,interval:0,display:%1,style:b,color:BD811B
    CPUTYPE=active:1,interval:0,color:BD811B
    DISPLAYCONTROLLER=active:1,interval:0
    WMI=active:1,interval:0,lid:audiocontroller,namespace:root\cimv2,query:Win32_SoundDevice where Caption like ‘%Realtek%’,display:%Caption%
    CPUUSAGE=active:1,interval:5,color:BD811B,chart:line linear 100 1 BD811B,threshold1:1 95 0000FF,count:8,display:Total: %1%
    PROCESSCOUNT=active:1,interval:5,threshold1:1 90 0000FF,display:%1
    TOPPROCESSCPU=active:1,interval:5,threshold1:3 90 0000FF,display:%1 (pid:%2) %3%
    TOPPROCESSMEM=active:1,interval:5,display:%1 (pid:%2) %3[1.0b]B
    PHYSICALRAM=active:1,interval:5,color:BD811B,threshold1:3 90 0000FF,display:%1[2.0m]MiB / %2[2.0m]MiB (%3% used)
    VIRTUALMEMORY=active:1,interval:5,threshold1:3 90 0000FF,display:%1[2.0m]MiB / %2[2.0m]MiB (%3% used)
    PAGEFILE=active:1,interval:5,threshold1:3 90 0000FF,display:%1[2.0m]MiB / %2[2.0m]MiB (%3% used)
    FIXEDDISK=active:1,interval:60,color:BD811B,threshold1:8 -10 0000FF,count:2,display:%1: %4[4.2b]B / %5[4.2b]B (%8% free),filter:

    Can you tell me something about it?
    Thank you.

  • #1087 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

    In the wmi query you should use double quotes in the where clause.

    I get zero percent cpu when I run your ini in v1.10.2 and it runs without a problem. It’s possible the quotes thing could be the cause. See if that fixes it. Otherwise, you should resort to the standard debug method of disabling items until it stops misbehaving.

  • #1103 Reply

    ReDeX
    Participant

    Finally I managed to do some tests, as regards the problem of temporary block in which it seems not to respond (with the background that turns black) the cause is the CPUUSAGE parameter, and the problem occurs at startup or when you update manually or following some event (eg by inserting a usb drive).
    The other problem of the continuous use of the CPU depends on the parameter FIXEDDISK, but this behavior started only in the PC that I use at work, where I launch DesktopInfo with the SYSTEM user to have visibility of all the processes in memory with the parameters TOPPROCESSCPU and TOPPROCESSMEM, but I do not know if this can be the problem.
    Let me know if you need more information.

    • #1105 Reply
      Glenn
      Glenn
      Keymaster

      if you can reproduce it on demand, please add log-level=debug to the ini file, reproduce the error, and send me the log

      • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Glenn Glenn.
  • #1110 Reply

    ReDeX
    Participant

    I have attached the log where, however, no problem is detected. I have also attached an animated gif that I created from my desktop that shows the strange behavior of DesktopInfo that I have described.

    Attachments:
  • #1112 Reply

    ReDeX
    Participant

    I attach the log compressed in zip format

    Attachments:
    1. desktopinfo.zip
  • #1114 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

    does it correct itself? how long does it take from startup to when it settles down?

  • #1117 Reply

    ReDeX
    Participant

    Yes, it correct itself in about 5-6 seconds from the startup, and this behavior is repeated every time an event causes the update of the DesktopInfo window (eg the insertion of a usb disk). If, on the other hand, the CPUUSAGE parameter is disabled, it no longer does so.

  • #1118 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

    Ok. so it sounds like the CPUUSAGE is triggering a heavy cpu load for up to 5 seconds and, judging by your gif, it is related to a wmi query which is weird because there are no wmi calls in cpuusage.

    I haven’t been able to reproduce it here.

  • #1120 Reply

    ReDeX
    Participant

    I have to make further checks but it seems that the problem is related to the (not) loading of the language file. I will do other tests to be sure.

  • #1132 Reply

    ReDeX
    Participant

    I can confirm that the problem occurs when I set up the language file, I have attached my configuration files.

Reply To: CPU Load
Your information:




Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!