Cleartype fonts and hyperlink control

Forums Desktop Info Cleartype fonts and hyperlink control

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Andrew Holben 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author
    Andrew Holben

I am trying to display a hyperlink control and the hyperlink text has some inconsistent black shading (see example images below).
    I think this is because the hyperlink text is still being rendered using cleartype fonts, even though I have set cleartype=0 via the Desktop Info ini. Could you confirm if this is the case and if is there a work around?

Here are few screenshots to illustrate the issue:

cleartype=0 in Desktop Info ini
    cleartype=0 in Desktop Info ini
    Note that the URL has some inconsistent black shading but the text in the left column looks fine

cleartype=1 in Desktop Info ini
    cleartype=1 in Desktop Info ini
    Note that both the URL and text in left column have inconsistent black shading. Also the URL looks the same in this image and the previous one

Cleartype fonts disabled in Windows
    Cleartype fonts disabled in Windows
    I disabled cleartype fonts in Windows (using Adjust Cleartype text in control panel) and no inconsistent black shading. This is the way that I would expect it to look.

This issue isn’t as noticeable on a dark background or using a low transparency value (eg 50) in the ini

I am using Windows 10 1809 and Desktop Info 1.17

I have replicated this on 2 different computers(same model) and a virtual machine.

The sample Desktopinfo ini is as follows

[options]
    # size and position
    bottom=20
    right=20
    width=320
    column1width=80

# font
    font-face=Consolas
    font-size=12
    font-charset=1
    font-rtl=0
    ssfontsize=16
    cleartype=0

[items]
    CONTROL=active:1,type:1,color:ffffff,text:Google,display:http://www.google.com,uri:https://www.google.com
    COMMENT=active:1,text:

thanks for any assistance or advise

1+
  • #2073 Reply
    Andrew Holben

Second image didn’t cme through. I’ll try again

Cleartype=1 in DesktopInfo ini
    Note that both the URL and text in left column have inconsistent black shading. Also the URL looks the same in this image and the previous one

1+
  • #2074 Reply
    Andrew Holben

I just noticed that 1.18 is out. I tested with the new version and get the same results.

1+
  • #2075 Reply
    Glenn
    Glenn
    Keymaster

I have noticed that oddness since doing the controls and wondered why. I just set my background to something close to white and switched off Clear Type and got much the same result.

The clear type setting is assigned to the main canvas but the controls have their own canvas so the setting is not being applied as it is to the rest of DTI.

So, thanks to your analysis I now know that the clear type setting needs to be applied to each control as it is created.

• #2077 Reply
    Andrew Holben

Thanks for looking into this so quickly.
    Hopefully the change isn’t complex and might make it into a near future release.
    Also, thanks for Desktop Info, it is an awesome product.

Reply To: Cleartype fonts and hyperlink control
Your information:

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!