Bottom Calculation and Windows Task Bar

Forums Desktop Info Bottom Calculation and Windows Task Bar

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have an interesting scenario where after a reboot the position of the bottom item is underneath/overlayed on the Windows taskbar. It is currently set for bottom=40.

If I simply change some irrelevant item in the .ini file, for example add a space in an already empty line then removing the same space and saving the ini file – desktopinfo refreshes and takes the task bar into account and positions it right above the taskbar where I want it.

19-04-20 15:47:53:604 INFO  Desktop Info version 2.5.0.3440
      19-04-20 15:47:53:606 INFO  Windows Version 6.2.9200 

Any Ideas?

• #2992 Reply
      Participant

For some reason it will not let me edit my original post.

I should clarify that I have 4 separate ini files and I created a batch file to kick off all 4 during startup by means of converting the bat file into an exe and placing the shortcut inside the startup folder. I watched carefully and the taskbar is there before the desktopinfo script kicks off.

I might try to see if I can create a autotask in task scheduler to kick off after waiting some time after the windows start to see if that makes any difference. – That or put a sleep statement into the batch file…

thoughts?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatarrwyarbrough.
      • #2995 Reply
        GlennGlenn
        Keymaster

DTI is evidently getting in ahead of the taskbar. An ini change triggers the reload and re-evaluation of the desktop characteristics. That doesn’t surprise me upon reflection. I’ve seen that kind of thing elsewhere.

I’ve found Task Scheduler to be the best option.

• #3002 Reply
          Participant

For some reason task scheduler doesn’t work either. Even if I run the batch file after the machine has been up for 11 minutes, the text is still positioned over the taskbar.

The only way I can get this to work without intervention is by using a command line javascript search and replace utility (JRepl) JRepl Utility and adding a bogus commented line into the ini file to allow for the editing without impacting the rest of the configuration. Its cumbersome, but it works:

@echo off
          start C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\desktopinfo.exe /ini=C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-1.ini
          start C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\desktopinfo.exe /ini=C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-2.ini
          start C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\desktopinfo.exe /ini=C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-3.ini
          start C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\desktopinfo.exe /ini=C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-4.ini
          timeout 15 > NUL
          CMD /c C:\Utilities\jrepl "#textforupdate=1" "#textforupdate=0" /f C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-1.ini /o -
          CMD /c C:\Utilities\jrepl "#textforupdate=1" "#textforupdate=0" /f C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-2.ini /o -
          CMD /c C:\Utilities\jrepl "#textforupdate=1" "#textforupdate=0" /f C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-3.ini /o -
          CMD /c C:\Utilities\jrepl "#textforupdate=1" "#textforupdate=0" /f C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-4.ini /o -
          CMD /c C:\Utilities\jrepl "#textforupdate=0" "#textforupdate=1" /f C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-1.ini /o -
          CMD /c C:\Utilities\jrepl "#textforupdate=0" "#textforupdate=1" /f C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-2.ini /o -
          CMD /c C:\Utilities\jrepl "#textforupdate=0" "#textforupdate=1" /f C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-3.ini /o -
          CMD /c C:\Utilities\jrepl "#textforupdate=0" "#textforupdate=1" /f C:\Utilities\DesktopInfo\hostname-4.ini /o -
          • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatarrwyarbrough.
    • #3004 Reply
      GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

post your ini file.

• #3007 Reply
        Participant

[options]
        # monitor
        monitor-mode=0
        monitor-num=1

# size and position
        bottom=40
        #textforupdate=1

# font
        font-face=Maiandra GD
        font-size=22
        cleartype=1

# menu
        nav=0

# misc
        inimonitortime=10

[items]
        COMMENT=active:1,text-align:1,color:ffffff,style:r, text: 
        HOST=active:1,interval:0,text:,text-align:1,color:ffffff,style:r

• #3008 Reply
          Participant

Picture one is the initial startup of DeskTopInfo using the ini file I provided earlier with interval changed from 0 to 5 thinking it might auto refresh and it did not.

After any change to the ini file. it repositions just right (picture 2)

• #3011 Reply
            GlennGlenn
            Keymaster

are you displaying on the primary monitor or secondary monitor?

• #3012 Reply
              Participant

Hi Glenn,

I have 4 monitors:
              Laptop Display PnP -> mon 4
              2 HP EliteDisplayE242 -> mon1 ( Primary Monitor) & mon 3
              Dell 2208WFP (portrait mode) -> mon 2

I have four separate ini files one for each monitor and all 4 are fired up at startup. It doesn’t matter what combination I fire up, the initial activation always paints over the taskbar and only adjusts properly after I change something in that monitors ini file.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatarrwyarbrough.
    • #3014 Reply
      GlennGlenn
      Keymaster

Ok I can see what you’re seeing. This is a bug introduced in v2.5 during the display rewrite. It will be fixed in the next release some time this month. Meanwhile you can work around it by moving or adding the COMMENT item to *after* the HOST item. This triggers the display refresh when the HOST item populates for the first time.

• #3018 Reply
        Participant

Thanks Glenn,

That is much easier than what I’ve been doing to fix it!

Thanks again! Good work and product by the way – really enjoy it!

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Bottom Calculation and Windows Task Bar
Your information:

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!