Desktop Info v3.2

Version v3.2.0
September 2021

Important: Make sure to update your expressions/function calls to relocate your display format definition as outlined below.

My TO DO list is nearly exhausted so the rampage will begin to slow down now.

Change 1: In the process of cleaning up the data processing code, I’ve removed the display format definition from inside expressions and functions and placed it after the closing curly braces so that it more closely follows the convention used elsewhere. This has been bugging me for a while and I decided that while I’m on a rampage, that’s as good a time as any. So now the sole function of anything inside the double curly braces is to calculate a value, either by explicit expression or by calling a function. Once this is done and the expression or function has been fully evaluated, any following display format definition will format it for display. See Functions Section and Expressions and Functions. This should make things easier to fathom. *** You will need to change your configuration file to move the display format definitions out of the expressions.

Change 2: Completed the SSL implementation on the remote monitor, DTI and HTTPGET. I’ve had some questions about the extra DLL files in the distribution zip. These are the OpenSSL files used to provide encryption on secure connections. See They integrate nicely with the Indy components used to provide network connections.

Change 3: Changed the behaviour of Desktop Info when the transparency option is set to zero. Now, the main display form becomes a non-layered window. This allows 32-bit partially transparent (ie with an alpha channel) images to display correctly, albeit on a plain colored background. As far as I can tell it is not possible to display such images correctly on a layered/transparent window.

Change 4: The collector thread will try to throttle itself when there is nothing else going on and it looks like Desktop Info is the highest cpu user. This requires a TOPPROCESSCPU item to be active, visible or hidden.

Change 5: Overhauled the EVENTLOG item. Added the maxrows option to allow more than one recent event. Added the filter option to provide filtering on the source field. Now supports multi-byte.

Change 6: Added the secret command line option.

Change 7: Added the topmost option.

Change 8: Added a new alarms option to the items. This new option is much more powerful than the thresholds. Not only does it allow a variety of ways to compare the data for potential alarms but it also allows you to compare the current data against the previous dataset so it can detect changes in data. It will also compare any two values and/or expressions whether or not they come from the current dataset. Thresholds are deprecated.

Change 9: Added a new ALARMS item to display a list of recent alarms generated by the aforementioned alarms option in each item.

Change 10: A lot more work on scaling, hopefully I’ve fixed the various issues. Changing the Windows magnification on the fly and dragging between monitors of differing dpi still don’t work correctly. The scale option is removed.

Change 11: Added the Not Null Expression option to the item display template. I couldn’t think of a better name for it.

Change 12: Added the ‘s’ format to help in creating a table. See the sample-config\desktopinfo-linux.ini configuration file for an example.

Change 13: Added VIRTUALDESKTOP to show the current Windows virtual desktop and VIRTUALDESKTOPS to show all Windows virtual desktops.

Glenn's Page